KIM Jong-Un has threatened to pull out of the upcoming summit with Donald Trump after American troops joined South Korea in a military exercise.
North Korea said it has no interest in the meeting if it’s based on “one-sided” demands to give up weapons in a “Libya-style denuclearisation”.
First vice minister of foreign affairs Kim Kye Gwan also said that Mr Trump would remain as a “failed president” if he follows in the steps of his predecessors.
The statement, published by the North’s central news agency on Wednesday, came hours after the North abruptly cancelled a high-level meeting with South Korea.
Kim criticised recent comments by Trump’s top security adviser John Bolton and other US officials who have been talking about how the North should follow the “Libyan model” of nuclear disarmament and provide a “complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantlement.”
He also criticised other comments that the North should completely abandon not only its nukes and missiles but also its biological and chemical weapons.
Kim says: “We will appropriately respond to the Trump administration if it approaches the North Korea-US summit meeting with a truthful intent to improve relations.”
He adds: “But we are no longer interested in a negotiation that will be all about driving us into a corner and making a one-sided demand for us to give up our nukes and this would force us to reconsider whether we would accept the North Korea-US summit meeting.”
North Korea’s propaganda agency also claimed that Pyongyang officials axed high-level talks with Seoul in response to the war games – dubbed Max Thunder.
South Korea’s Defense Ministry says the military exercises between Washington and Seoul will go on despite the angry reaction by the North.
The ministry’s spokeswoman Choi Hyunsoo said the drills are chiefly about improving the skills of pilots and aren’t attack exercises.
The exercises, which began on Monday and reportedly include some 100 aircraft, will continue through May 25.
The North has long denounced the military exercises between the rivals as invasion rehearsals.
It warned that the US will “have to undertake careful deliberations about the fate of the planned North Korea-US summit in light of this provocative military ruckus”.
Last week the President revealed the hotly anticipated meeting between himself and the North Korean leader on Twitter.
North Korean officials reportedly think the Max Thunder war games were a prelude to invasion[/caption]
Trump tweeted: “The highly anticipated meeting between Kim Jong Un and myself will take place in Singapore on June 12th.
The two leaders are expected to discuss North Korea’s nuke development and testing among other issues.
The news comes as the president welcomed home three Americans who had been held prisoner in the secretive state early this morning.
The threat to pull out comes just hours after new satellite images appeared to show North Korea has already begun dismantling its nuclear test site.
MOST READ IN NEWS
The snaps show support buildings, ventilation infrastructure and rail lines among parts of the nuclear operation that have been removed.
The photos were taken at leader Kim Jong-un’s Punggye-ri nuclear test site, which is located in the northeast of the hermit state
North Korean state media declared at the weekend the dismantlement of its site would take place between May 23 and 25.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.